Monday, February 15, 2010

A Smokey Tale

Gatlinburg, Tennessee, at the base of the Smokey Mountains, has been one of our favorite autumn vacation spots for years. We have hiked many trails. One of the tougher ones is called the Chimney Tops. I consider it tougher simply because the incline gets pretty steep for a long time before it levels out. And when you think you are at the top, there are these huge, intimidating boulders (the Chimneys) that you have to climb up on in order reach the summit. But if you make it, the view is glorious, especially when the trees are at their peak of color. And the satisfaction you feel only enhances the experience.

My friend’s entire family has also spent time in Gatlinburg for their annual summer get-together. It just so happens that my daughter married into this wonderful family.

On one such trip, on one such climb up to the Chimneys, Mark was telling the others about the first time he ever climbed this trail,

We had finally reached the big boulder and were wondering how to get  up onto the top so we could take in the view. There was nothing to grab onto and it was pretty scary. So we just sat there to see which one of us would muster the courage to be the first one up.  While we were sitting there, this hiker comes along, all by himself, with ear phones on, and without breaking stride, he just walks up the rock!! He didn’t even hesitate! We couldn’t believe it! We felt like wimps!”

My daughter said, “That’s amazing! That is the same thing that happened to my dad when he climbed the Chimneys the first time!!”

Mark suddenly got a bewildered look on his face. Then he started to laugh and he said, “Jami, it DID happen to your dad. Not to me! I think your dad told me the story so vividly that I thought it happened to me!”

What a hoot! They laughed all the way down the mountain.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Markie Boy!! I don't know if I would have been humble enough to admit my mistake. I probably would have just acted like I was with Gary!! :)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten that one!! ((hahaha))

    Love the new header by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marla! Welcome to Blog World. I finally had time to sit down and catch-up on all your posts!! Oh my, that newlywed story was hilarious. I laughed out loud. I am definitely looking forward to reading to Klint when he gets home from work. SO FUNNY!

    Can't wait to read more of your entertaining stories.

    Oh, and I can't believe my dad admitted that! I don't know if I could :) Shows his good self-esteem!!

    ReplyDelete