Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cause my dad, my dad is the greatest dad around!

We spent several summer vacations in Michigan when our three daughters were small. That meant a lot of time on the road. I appreciated the many Christian resources available to us that I did not have as a child, such as stories on cassette and sing-a-longs, all sharing values that we felt were important lessons for our children. And just as important on long trips, they were entertaining, helping time to pass more quickly.


One occasion sticks out in my mind while traveling in northern Michigan. I put in a cassette that Gary had never heard before. As it started playing, the girls and I enthusiastically sang along with it. Gary looked at me with a grin on his face when he heard us singing, “My dad’s the greatest guy, and my dad’s the strongest guy, and my dad’s the funnest guy of any guy around” The lyrics included phrases like, “he plays ball with me, throws me in the air, flies a kite, gives me bubble gum, etc.” By the end of the song Gary was glowing with pride…that is, until we heard the sweet voice of 4 year old Jami coming from the rear of the van saying, “I wish that was my dad!”

4 comments:

  1. well, well, well, your own blog - I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun Mom - you're own blog!! Very sneaky way of getting us here too. I take great pride in the fact that I was mentioned in the first blog post. I am very sorry for Megan and Leslie! :)

    Welcome to blogland, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will always laugh about this story! I wish I could have seen Gary's face!! Too cute!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete