Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tennis Anyone?

I love tennis. I really do. If you think about it, the game is a lot like marriage.

For instance, we start the game with love.  We (Gary and I) then take our turn serving.  If I blow it the first time, Gary always lets me try again.  And sometimes, we give each other the advantage.  Occasionally, we point out each other's faults, but usually we see our own, and confess them.  And we are always forgiven. When our swing seems a bit flat, we just try to follow through until we find that sweet spot and enjoy a long rally.

Success depends on how well we stick to the game plan. If we just hold at the right time, we won't have to worry about the break points.

So when the overheads get too high, and our volleys too deep; when the fuzz wears thin and tennis elbow sets in; when the game just seems like one big racket, it is encouraging to know that even after 15, 30, or 40 years, Gary and I will still be each other's biggest fan.

After all, our match was made in heaven.

3 comments: