Wednesday, August 25, 2010

You...My Brown Eyed Girl

I was with two of my daughters as we listened to a broadcast of Dr. Dobson when he gave his "farewell address" to the Focus on the Family staff. He spoke with such tenderness of his life with Shirley. After 50 years of marriage, he could tell what she was thinking just by looking at her. For example, he knew whether or not she liked a gift just by the look in her eyes. It was a sweet admission of a close relationship.

It reminded me of last week, when Gary and I were driving home from a short vacation. He was humming the song, "You, my-ay, brown eyed girl...". He looked over at me and trying to look through my sunglasses, he said, "I forget... what color are your eyes?"

Dr. Dobson, he ain't, but I wouldn't trade him for the world:)

8 comments:

  1. That is so funny! Oh Uncle Gary, gotta love him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's my papa! :)

    -les

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY, THAT IS HILARIOUS!! I was laughing out loud!

    Thanks Marla!

    ReplyDelete
  4. clint and are laughing outloud!! oh dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so funny marla! doesn't he know where his girls get their beautiful blue eyes?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, Rebekah. I asked him the very same question!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha. i love it....oh gary....

    ReplyDelete